What did you do for YOU today? I’m going to let you in on a secret that you may or may not already know. You have the same amount of hours in a day as BEYONCE. Boom, I said it.
When I first decided to create a blog, I promised myself that I would be as real and raw as possible. Why? Because there are seven billion people in this world but there is only one of me. The fact of the matter is, there are seven billion people in this world, and I’d bet *seven billion dollars* that more than one of you can relate to me! Recently, I was scrolling through Pinterest (Side note: please tell me I’m not the only one who spends their Friday nights getting wild on Pinterest while wearing PJs) and came across a quote that said “No one is you and that is your power” and it resonated with me ever since. With that being said, it has taken me years of self-reflection, self-care and eventually self-love to be able to repeat a daily affirmation like that and truly believe it. What does it mean to you when someone says “you can’t pour from an empty cup”? To me it means in order to offer the world the very best version of myself, I need to practice what I preach and schedule self-care or me-time every day. Let me repeat that louder for the people in the back: you need to schedule self-care or me-time every damn day. I can tell when I haven’t prioritized myself because I begin to feel drained, emotionally and physically exhausted, anxious or unmotivated (welcome to the life of being an introverted-extrovert). If you can relate to me on a spiritual level, what do you do to recharge your batteries? I love self-care so much, I have an entire routine! Some days it includes going for a run and making a bomb salad, other days it includes binge watching Netflix and ordering a pizza. It’s called balance! If you’re new to the self-care game and need some tips I’ll share a few of my favourites to get you started:
- Set an alarm every day. (This will keep your sleep schedule on track and helps avoid wasting your day away!)
- Make your bed when you wake up. (This will start your day with a sense of accomplishment- even if it is something small!)
- Coffee + a healthy breakfast. (The best bevvy and the best meal…need I say more?)
- Journal (Write down 3 things that you’re grateful for and watch your mindset change!)
- Make yourself a to-do list for the day. (This will hold you accountable and make sure you get-your-shit-together! And yes girl, you need to be number one on that list!)
- Find time to move your body and go outside! (It’s crazy how quickly your energy will shift when you’re surrounded by nature, fresh air and sunshine…I personally love running/walking by the waterfront!)
- Drink your dang water! (Because water fixes everything!)
- Feng shui your environment. (A clear space will help clear your mind!)
- While you’re doing that^ put on your favourite playlist or podcast! (I’ve recently been really into podcasts- it’s an easy way to learn something new or to get in a good belly laugh without using screen time!)
- Make yourself your favourite homemade meal! (Quinoa, turkey, black bean + sweet potato chili is my at home comfort food *I’m drooling just writing about it!)
- Read one chapter of a personal development book every day! (I loved both Melissa Ambrossini’s and Rachel Hollis’ books!)
- WINE down! (I’m talking bubble bath and candle, glass of wine, face/hair mask, paint your nails and moisturize!)
Keep in mind, what I do to re-charge my batteries may not be the same as what you would do to re-charge yours! The point is every day you need to do something for YOU. So whatever is on your to-do list today, make sure you prioritize yourself first! The world needs the best version of you, so start showing up as her!
Today’s mantra: No one is you and that is your power.